Sunday, March 11, 2012

Arbeit Macht Frei

Another weekend down, only 7 left.

This weekend was filled with a trip to another country. I went to Krakow Poland. Which was amazing. First we celebrated Jordan (my host sister) and Aaron's (my host dad) birthdays. Also Jordan's family came into town so we had tea with the family. It was wonderful and I have such a great host family.
Our Tea time meal

Krakow, Poland. Where do I begin? This was the trip of a lifetime for me. Words do not really describe how I felt the whole weekend. I loved every single moment of it. I would love to go back and spend some more time visiting other sites in Krakow. I spent most of the day Saturday at Auschwitz and Birkenau. Being in a place of so much history was absolutely one of the best moments of my life. I don't really know words to describe how I felt being there. I guess the feeling that I have is relieved as well informed. I always thought that Auschwitz-Birkenau was two separate concentration camps but really it was one complex. I learned so much and will never forget the experience that I had there. While I want to write more about Auschwitz-Birkenau I just can't find the right words to describe it (sorry). I also wanted to take more pictures but could not do that. This is basically the extent of the pictures that I have because I just couldn't take pictures in Auschwitz-Birkenau.
I also got to have traditional Polish food while in Krakow. It was great and I loved trying new things. I also enjoyed walking around the Grand Market and walking through the Cloth Hall. I loved the atmosphere and want to go back to Krakow sometime soon. Also I will book the Hostel for the right nights. On this trip I booked my hostel for the wrong two nights, so I ended up paying for three nights and only staying for two (oops). It all worked out in the end. Wandering around the streets at night is a little sketchy and I would not do it unless you absolutely need to. Over all I enjoyed the City and I want to go back. Enjoy the Pictures that I did take :)

Sign over the Entrance to Auschwitz- "Work Makes (you) Free"

Barb wire fences

Cyclone B-used in the gas chambers to kill prisoners

Eye glasses Display

Guard tower

Cattle Car that held up to 100 people at a time

Looking down the tracks at the entrance to Auschwitz II (Birkenau)

Ruins of the crematoria at Birkenau.

Women's bunks that up to 3 people slept in

My pierogis

Polish Zloti

I am not doing anything next weekend (finish up homework?) and then I am going to Paris!!! I am so excited for that trip. I have always dreamed of going to Paris. I think that it is going to be amazing because I am going with a Phi Mu sister!! Until the next post (should be soon)..

Much Love
liz

No comments:

Post a Comment