Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Field Trips...What??

I'm in college and I get to take field trips. Yes that statement is true. Today we took a field trip to Southwell Workhouse and toured the Manor. Yes I know touring the Manor that I live in?? It was to see how the Manor is very Victorian in the layout and how the house functioned. It was interesting to see this division. I guess I knew that it existed but to actually see it and realize that this happened was a WHOLE different thing. The Southwell workhouse also correlated to what we are studying in British Studies. The workhouse was separated into men and women oh and children had there own wing. The whole idea behind the workhouse was to strip the identity of the people who came to work to try and convince them to find a job. The jobs at the workhouse where tasks that would keep people occupied not really jobs that had any meaning or value to them. If you where able bodied then you worked. They also trained the children to try and get jobs in country manor homes, so that they could live in a better place. I think that i would want to work in a Manor house. I just think that it is cool that I am in college and I get to take field trips.

-xx-
liz

No comments:

Post a Comment